Thursday, January 16, 2014

Trip to the Moon (Reaction Paper)




The film, Trip to the Moon, is a 1902 French silent film directed by Georges Méliès. It was said that it is the world’s first Sci-film. If I would be on the first screening of the movie, which is I think 100 years ago, I would definitely be interested watching it. If I would be a person living during the time it was released, knowing that film and cinema is not that improved and developed that time, I think I would also like this film. Well, for a film done during that time, it is quite impressive on how they could finish it well. Some historians as what I have read from an article said that it is “one of the most technically innovative films up until that time.” I could say that it is purely imaginative and creative. They did a good job on having those artists who act in the film and their costumes also. I am wondering where they could have got those costumes. The story is also organized and there is a consistent flow of the tale. There is a clear transition between acts.  They also made it somewhat entertaining and put a sense of humor. Even though science is not that well developed that time, they make effort on putting significant facts in the film, making it somewhat informative. Having things like the astronomers, the space capsule shaped as a bullet and the Selenites made the movie interesting.
Well of course I also do have some critiques about the film. One thing is that, it is just like a series of photographs put into animation. I know it is a silent film but they could make it more lively and interactive. Another one is that I could not completely understand what the film wants to say. The movie has a shot of course though not in the modern way stories were told but it they should have a better way on how they could present the message of the story to the viewers. 

Kimberly Pacle
2013-02319

No comments:

Post a Comment